City & Guilds Level 2 Technical Certificate in Floristry
This City & Guilds Level 2 Technical Certificate in Floristry is for you if you are looking to start a career within the floristry industry. If you like to interact with others, be creative and are keen to develop practical, technical floristry skills, then this qualification is for you.
Through this qualification you will learn about different flowers and plants and how to look after them. You will also learn that there is more to floristry than flowers and that for florists to be successful, they need to understand their tools, environment and the finishing touches that make a difference. With this, you will develop an understanding of design principles and the skills needed to apply these to the design and creation of floristry products. You will gain an understanding of how floristry businesses operate and develop skills needed to interact with customers and identify their needs.
This qualification covers the skills you will need to progress to further learning and training, or to enter the world of work within the floristry industry.
You will study the following mandatory content:
- Working in the floristry industry
- Preparing to create floristry designs
- Creating floristry designs
- Customer service
- Caring for and maintaining floristry products
- Floristry design principles
- Health and safety for the land-based industries
There is also a requirement to carry out 150 hours of work experience
You will get lots of practice and support to enable you to develop the required skills and knowledge to prepare you for the learning and end assessment
We work with local employers who will contribute to the knowledge and delivery of training. The different ways in which centres could support your learning, by working with both local and national floristry businesses, include:
- Structured work-experience or work-placements within their business
- Your attendance at classes or lectures given by industry experts
- Employers input into projects and exercises
- Employers who act as ‘expert witnesses’ to contribute to the assessment of your work.
- This practical based training is ideal preparation for gaining employment in the floristry industry or further specialist study.
To gain this qualification, candidates must successfully achieve the following assessments:
- Theory exam
- Synoptic assessment (practical test)
- Health & Safety multiple choice exam
- 150 hours work experience
- Portfolio of evidence
Why Choose us?
- Dedicated floristry classroom and worskop Experienced lecturers within industry practises
- Educational trips to Holland, wholsale flower markets, flower growers
- Competition work – Harrogate Flower Show, Worldskills and Chelsea Florist of the year
- Based within land based college with vast natural resources
- Opportunities to produce work with local flower festivals, for private weddings and college events.
- Junior florist
- Senior florist
- Freelance florist
- Event co-ordinator
- Self-employed florist
- Students work experience has led to jobs in retail floristry, hotel and wedding co-ordinating, setting up own businesses, working for flower wholesalers, careers with florists in London, Manchester and Australia. Cruise ships and resident florist in hotel in Bahamas.
Usually at least 4 GCSEs at grade 3 (old Grade D) or above including Maths and English with Art also desirable. Alternatively a suitable Level 1 vocational qualification with English and Maths at Level 1.
Upon successful completion of this course students may progress onto a City & Guilds Level 3 Technical Diploma in Floristry on a full or part time basis.