City & Guilds Higher Diploma Level 4 Floristry
This qualification is aimed at candidates who have completed a level 3 qualification in professional floristry and are seeking higher level qualifications in professional floristry. For florists established in the industry and/or trained to level 3 this qualification has been mapped to the National Occupational Standards.
Candidates must have achieved a level 3 standard in professional floristry, including industrial experience and have a sufficient level of literacy and numeracy to enable them to research the underpinning knowledge, carry out the practical tasks and complete the assignments.
Where candidates have industrial experience but not a level 3 qualification, centres must ensure that their skills are to level 3 standards. It is also essential that candidates have industrial experience while accessing the qualification.
- To gain the Level 4 Higher Diploma in Floristry (ICFS), candidates must pass all ten units.
- Botanical Concepts & Practices for Floristry
- Historical Studies for Floristry
- Floral Event Practices
- Business Practices for Floristry
- Marketing & Promotion Practices for Floristry
- Technical Floristry Skills in Tied Designs, Wired & Glued Designs and designs in Mediums
- Design Trends
- Concepts for Floristry
Throughout this qualification the following must be taken into account
- Meticulous standards of workmanship are expected throughout
- Commercial speed is expected
- Health & safety requirements.
Risk assessments must be carried out or monitored for all work carried out, especially with regard to equipment, such as knives, secateurs, hot glue guns etc. manual handling. Security of designs and displays poisonous or otherwise dangerous materials
To gain this qualification, candidates must successfully achieve the following assessments:
- Practical examination
- Written examination
- Professional portfolio of evidence
- Senior florist
- Freelance florist
- Event co-ordinator
- Self-employed florist
- Students who studied this qualification have progressed to working in boutique hotels, wedding co-ordinating, setting up own businesses, careers with florists in London, Manchester and Australia. Teaching, working on cruise ships and resident florist in hotel in Bahamas.
Level 3 floristry qualification (Merit or above) with English and Maths at Level 2
Students can progress onto a City & Guilds Level 5 Master Diploma in Professional Floristry.