MSc in Zoo Management and Conservation
This is an advanced course for students who want to develop an in-depth knowledge and understanding of Zoo Management and Conservation following degree-level study in a related subject. Final Award: MSc Intermediate Awards: PgC, PgD
The MSc programme in Zoo Management and Conservation is aimed at those that are due to graduate or have graduated in a related subject area. Alternatively, you may be employed within the industry with significant experience and would like to develop higher level skills relating to animal wildlife conservation.
You will gain skills to critically assess the role of management, infrastructure, income generation, stock and visitors in zoo environments.
Additionally, the course will equip you with the ability to analyse ecosystems and produce solutions to complex ecological models. You will develop advanced knowledge and expertise necessary to help conserve habitats, species and preserve biodiversity.
Modules of study include:
- Postgraduate Project
- Sustainability Within Zoos
- Research and Analysis
- Applied Ethology
- Animal Welfare Science
- Biodiversity and Conservation
- Animal Health, Physiology and Behaviour
- Ecosystem Analysis
- Management of Modern Zoos
Additional key reasons to study:
- On-site accommodation available during your study weeks
- Assessments are designed in relation to tasks you would be expected to perform in employment
- Following the completion of this course you may decide to continue your studies on to PhD level elsewhere or perhaps begin a career within zoological collections, government agencies, NGOs, advisory bodies or conservation organisations.
- Opportunity to progress to PhD studies.
Modules will be delivered in week blocks (4-5 days) at our main York Campus. Each module (with the exception of the postgraduate project) will be studied over one week block. There will be four weeks per year which students will be expected to attend. 2018-19 block dates** are as follows:
- w/c 28th October 2019
- w/c 13th January 2020
- w/c 25th May 2020
- w/c 6th July 2020
**Dates may be subject to change. Website will be updated regularly with key information.
Askham Bryan can offer you a flexible way to gain an MSc:
A part time MSc programme delivered over 2 years
Flexible study that only requires 4 teaching weeks at the College, so it can fit around your work commitments
Help with finance as funding available for access to postgraduate programmes*
* Postgraduate student loans, details available at: www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan
Applicants would typically have a BSc (Hons) at a 2.1 classification or above in a related subject. Applicants with a BSc (Hons) 2.2 classification as above, postgraduate diploma in a related subject and/or with relevant industry experience may also be considered. References will be requested.
Following the completion of this course you may be able to progress to PhD studies.
Postgraduate programmes will be eligible for a postgraduate student loan, details available at: https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan
Further details on how to apply: