Course at a glance
Keen to turn your passion for sport and fitness into a career? If so, this unique personal training course could be for you. It provides a broad base of knowledge and skills for work across numerous roles in the industry. Unlike other similar courses out there, you’ll walk away from it with qualifications in personal training and gym instruction, as well as enough UCAS points to progress skills further in higher education.
at grade 4 (old GCSE grade C) or above, to include 2 from English, Maths or Science with at least a grade 3 (old GCSE grade D) in the remaining subject. Alternatively a suitable Level 2 vocational qualification (Merit or above) with English, Maths and Science at Level 2.
Cost for students aged Under 19
for students over the age of 19 please contact us
Aims of the Course
- Be able to work within a variety of customer- facing roles within the active leisure industry, including fitness instructing, personal training and leisure operations
- Be able to access higher education degree programmes
What qualifications will I gain?
- Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training for Health and Fitness and Performance
- Accredited achievement of L2 Gym Instructor and Level 3 Personal Training Qualification will provide entry onto the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs)
- Functional Skills or GCSE in English and Maths depending on previous qualifications
During the course you will study areas such as:
- Principles of Anatomy, Physiology and Fitness
- Planning and Instructing gym-based exercise
- Health and Safety in a Physical Activity, Fitness and Sport Environment
- Applied Human Biology for Exercise and Fitness
- Principles of Nutrition for Healthy Lifestyles
- Conducting Consultations with Personal Training Clients
- Programme Design and Delivery for Personal Training
- Delivering Exceptional Customer Care
- Enterprise and Entrepreneurship
- Marketing Products and Services
- Technology in Sport and Exercise
- Managing Personal and Professional Development
- Research Methods and Skills for Academic Study
- Coaching and Methodology
- Work Experience directly linked to the vocational qualification
- You will have the opportunity to work towards Functional Skills or GCSE in English and Maths depending on previous qualifications
To gain a place on our Personal Training for Health, Fitness and Performance you will need to achieve a minimum of 4 GCSEs at Grade C or above (ideally these Maths & English Language). If Maths & English are not achieved then these can be worked on during the duration of the course through specialist Maths & English lesson & tutors at Askham Bryan College.
Alternatively a suitable Level 2 vocational qualification (Merit or above) with English, Maths and Science at Level 2.
When you have completed the course you will gain an Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training for Health and Fitness and Performance which is accepted by universities, particularly in areas of Sports Coaching, Fitness Instruction, Sports Therapy, Personal Training and Teacher Education.
The qualifications and experience gained through the course will also allow learners to progress straight into vocational working environments within Sport, Leisure and Fitness or aspects such as apprenticeships or direct employment.
Previous learners have progressed into employment including; Personal Training, RAF, Royal Navy etc. and progressed into higher education to pursue a degree in Sports Therapy, Sports Science, Sports Nutrition, Sports Studies and Sports business management.
Progression and Development Sessions
All students enrolled on a Level 2 or Level 3 course will be required to attend Progression and Development sessions every week. These sessions will cover a wide range of topics from careers and employability, British Values and equality and diversity to essential life skills such as mental health and wellbeing, drugs and alcohol and personal safety.
Learners will be supported in finding their own work placement in the sports and fitness industry. Learners will be expected to complete 30+ hours of their own work placement. Learners will also complete several different opportunities as part of their study programme to gain valuable experience including;
- Visits to local gyms
- Planning and delivering session for your own clients
- Guest speakers on a variety of different subjects
- Visits to local schools including planning and delivery of sessions circuit and HIIT sessions.
Learners will also complete a unit in Coaching and Methodology delivered by experience personal trainers and gym owners. This will give learners a real insight into the industry as well as developing their own personal fitness levels and gain skills to develop others.
Previous learners have completed their own work placement at schools, gyms, sports clubs and leisure centres.
Learners will be expected to purchase Askham Bryan College Fitness clothing.
These will be expected to be worn as the unofficial uniform; it is important to look professional in the sports and fitness industry as we adopt the same rational. Clothing will cost no more than £50. It is also important for learners to have comfortable, appropriate trainers.
York is one of the College's two residential campuses and is located just four miles from York city centre. At York we offer a full range of subject areas and levels including Apprenticeships, Level 1-3 Diplomas, Foundation, Top Up and BSc Honours Degrees.
“Askham Bryan College is a fantastic college. It has been a pleasure learning here. All the tutors are willing to go above and beyond to ensure you have the best knowledge possible. I would recommend this college to anyone wanting to become a Registered Veterinary Nurse. ”
“Choosing the level 3 Arboriculture course was a big decision being a 31-year-old self-employed landscape gardener. I am now at the end of my first year and there is no looking back. I have come on leaps and bounds professionally. I have already expanded my business into arboriculture with the skills and knowledge I have learnt. Askham Bryan College has been an eye opener and I've learned skills that I will take through my entire life.”