Askham Bryan College is committed to supporting all students in achieving their full potential, supporting students with any disability or learning difficulty.
We aim to provide the appropriate resources, facilities and services to enable students to be successful in their chosen programme of study and work towards embedding the skills required for preparation for adulthood..
Who can we support?
The Additional Learning Support Team (ALS) is a large team of experienced and trained staff who work closely with students, their parents/guardians and carers, schools, outside agencies and tutors to provide you with an individual support package.
We recognise that everyone's needs are unique and will work with students to identify any barriers that exist and make every effort to overcome them. The College has a strong ethos towards inclusivity and is committed to ensure that all students have the opportunities to achieve their full potential.
Our ALS team can support learners who have a range of additional support needs, such as:
• Autism Spectrum Disorder
• Specific Learning Difficulties including Dyslexia, Dyspraxia or Dyscalculia
• Medical conditions
• Social, Emotional & Mental health
• Moderate Learning Difficulties
• ADD or ADHD
• Mobility difficulties
• Sensory impairments including hearing and visual
• Speech, Language and Communication needs
How can we support you?
If you identify as having an additional learning need and/or disability or medical need please discuss this as soon as possible with the college to enable us to make any reasonable adjustments you may require.
Support will be assessed on an individual basis and will vary depending on your assessed needs and Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) if you have one. Agreed support will be shared with others on a need to know basis as required.
In most cases, students with a learning difficulty and/or disability are able to access our courses and have needs that can be met through the college’s universal support. Some students may require additional targeted support.
We support students at all levels starting from Foundation Learning with a bespoke programmes up to Level 3 in preparation for future education, training or employment.
Foundation Learning offers a hands-on educational experience with courses suited for students seeking to earn qualification from Entry Level to supported Level 2, to improve grades or pursue a study programme with additional support.
Outreach learning programmes (Inc. Prince’s Trust/Flex) are able to access additional learning support. For further information on these programmes please click on the link here
For information regarding support in Higher Education please visit the links below
Types of Support Provision available:
Universal – ‘Quality First’ Teaching
This is the level of support we offer to all students at the college, and will meet the majority of students’ needs. It comes in many forms, and can be adapted as necessary to meet a specific need.
• In-class differentiation and reasonable adjustments, such as smaller tasks, visual handouts.
• Risk assessments
• Exam Access Arrangements
• Adapted resources
• 1 – 1 Appraisals
• Referrals to and co-working with the college’s Student Services Well-being team
• Referrals to Learning Support including staff training and advice
Students may be allocated targeted support in addition to that listed above – this can be throughout your course, or as a short-term intervention to deal with a specific concern or issue.
• Learning Mentor and structured interventions for specific concerns or SEND need, weekly, or as required, 1:1 ratio
• Assistive technology
• Lunch time supervision
• Meet and greet
• Familiarisation of campus and rooms
• Taster & Transition sessions
• Exam access arrangements
• Personalised in-class support up to 1:1 ratio
• Personal care
• Multi-agency working including Education, Health and Social Care
• Adaptation/modification of learning materials into an accessible format such as Braille or large print
• Communication support
• Bespoke work experience job coach support
If you would like further information on additional learning support we offer here at Askham Bryan College, contact the Additional Learning Support Team:
• York and Centres- 01904 772277
• Middlesbrough (Stewart Park) - 01642 327998
• Newton Rigg (Penrith) - 01768 893629 /firstname.lastname@example.org