Course at a glance
Prepare for a supervisory role in the arboriculture sector with this course, which provides practical training underpinned by theory. You’ll gain additional qualifications in using a chainsaw, felling, related machinery and tree climbing, all under the expert eye of our team and with access to a vast range of specialist resources and equipment. The programme sets you up for a range of jobs or advanced learning.
at grade 4 (old GCSE grade C) or above, to include 2 from English, Maths or Science with at least a grade 3 (old GCSE grade D) in the remaining subject. Alternatively a suitable Level 2 vocational qualification (Merit or above) with English, Maths and Science at Level 2.
Cost for students aged Under 19
for students over the age of 19 please contact us
The course includes a wide range of modules including:
- Principles of Health and Safety
- Land based industry machinery operations
- Plant and soil science
- Estate skills
- Business management in the land based sector
- Specialist project in the land based sector
- Principles of tree felling and chainsaw use
- Identification, planting, establishment and aftercare of plants for forestry and arboriculture
- Identification of pests, diseases and disorders of trees
- Urban and community forestry projects
- Woodland habitat management
- Principles of tree science
- Tree and shrub pruning and maintenance
- Emergency tree works
- Advanced arboricultural practices
- Arboricultural skills
- Tree surveys and inspections
Why choose us?
- Excellent college resources including a stunning arboretum, woodland, orchard and specialist workshops.
- An additional qualification (known as a ticket in the industry) such as chainsaw maintenance and cross-cutting or tree climbing.
- Access to site visits, real tree work situations, conferences (including tour annual Arboriculture conference), shows and other events such as tree climbing competitions.
- Student transport network to ensure you can get to college.
4 GCSEs at grade 4 (old GCSE grade C) or above, to include 2 from English, Maths or Science with at least a grade 3 (old GCSE grade D) in the remaining subject.
Alternatively a suitable Level 2 vocational qualification (Merit or above) with English, Maths and Science at Level 2.
You could progress to study a Foundation Degree in Arboriculture.
Level 4 ABC certificate in Arboriculture
This two-year qualification exposes you to the whole industry and the opportunities within it. On completion, it is likely that you will enter the industry by working for an arboricultural company. As you will have gained a breadth and depth of skills and knowledge over a wide range of units, you could progress within work to become:
- Tree surgeon/arborist in a small or large business.
- International arboricultural work (working in America, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Sweden or others)
- Business owner
- Park Ranger
- Once you have more experience, you could become a lead climber or supervisor
- Tree nursery grower
- Trainee or apprentice with the national trust, forestry commission, city or county council forestry departments, or similar organisations.
This qualification can lead to higher education opportunities as it is equivalent to A Levels.
Progression and Development Sessions
All students enrolled on a Level 2 or Level 3 course will be required to attend Progression and Development sessions every week. These sessions will cover a wide range of topics from careers and employability, British Values and equality and diversity to essential life skills such as mental health and wellbeing, drugs and alcohol and personal safety.
Students are to complete a minimum of 150 hours in their first year and 315 hours in their second year of study. (Some students may opt to complete the 315 hours in their first year, this will be discussed during induction)The onus on finding a placement is on the learner and will be supported by not only the arboriculture tutors but also the employability coaches.
Previous learners have gained their placements with; Tree Nurseries, Tree Surgeons, Arboricultural contractors, Stately homes, Arboretums, Country parks, Arboriculture consultants to name but a few.
Upon successful acceptance a full PPE list with specifications will be emailed to your personal email which you supplied on your application form.
This information will also be covered on induction as there is a huge variation in cost and specification.
York is the College's residential campus and is located just four miles from York city centre. At York we offer a full range of subject areas and levels including Apprenticeships, Level 1-3 Diplomas, Foundation, Top Up and BSc Honours Degrees.
Great place to study
A different place to study
The outdoor classroom
A superb 'green' campus to enjoy.
“Askham Bryan College is a fantastic college. It has been a pleasure learning here. All the tutors are willing to go above and beyond to ensure you have the best knowledge possible. I would recommend this college to anyone wanting to become a Registered Veterinary Nurse. ”
“Choosing the level 3 Arboriculture course was a big decision being a 31-year-old self-employed landscape gardener. I am now at the end of my first year and there is no looking back. I have come on leaps and bounds professionally. I have already expanded my business into arboriculture with the skills and knowledge I have learnt. Askham Bryan College has been an eye opener and I've learned skills that I will take through my entire life.”