This page has all the information regarding details of UCAB Graduation on Wednesday 20 September 2023 held at York Minster.
Date of Ceremony: Wednesday 20 September 2023
Must be seated in the Minster by 7.10pm
Ceremony start time: 7.30pm
Students hiring a gown should arrive between 2.30pm-5.30pm to be gowned and photographed. You will be able to leave the Merchant Taylors’ Hall with your gown, but please remember to return it to the Merchant Taylors’ Hall immediately after the ceremony.
Please allow plenty of time for car parking and preparation including gowning (as there may be a queue) before the ceremony.
On the day
Arriving in York – make sure you allow plenty of time for travelling and parking in York. Click on the link to locate car parks in York
Register and collect your gown, name card and seat number and guest tickets from the Merchant Taylors’ Hall, York, YO1 7BX between 2.30pm -5.30pm. (there will also be plenty of photo opportunities at the Hall). Be careful not to get mixed up with the Merchant Adventurers’ Hall
Arrive at York Minster outside the South Entrance at 6.30pm for your group photograph, there will be staff to help guide you into place.
Before the Ceremony
Gather at the south entrance to the Minster by 6.45pm where you will be seated in number order with your cohort – ushers will be on hand to help with this
Guests should arrive at the west entrance and be directed to guest seating.
- Once the procession party, who are made up of college staff and invited guests, are seated the ceremony will begin.
- Your course tutor will collect you from your seats in course order and alphabetical name order and take you to the stage when your name is called by the announcer.
- You will receive your scroll, shake hands with the Principal and have your photograph taken.
- Your tutor will wait for you at the other end of the stage until the last person from the group has been on stage, you will then all go back to your seats as a group.
- If you are lucky enough to receive a trophy on the night, you will receive this on stage and a professional photo will be taken that you can purchase post event. Once you leave the stage, the trophy will be replaced with a commemorative glass plaque. At the end of the ceremony, there is short window of opportunity, whereby you are more than welcome to come back to the table to allow you and your guests to take your own photos to mark your achievement. Please make sure the original trophy is placed back on the table before you leave.
Good luck and enjoy your day.
You can watch the whole graduation live from York Minster - link below will become live nearer the start of the event.
YouTube link to the Graduation Ceremony:
RSVP: Please complete the form below by Friday 1 September 2023
Hire of academic dress and photography through Ede and RavenscroftLink to gown booking
The Graduation Ceremony will be held at York Minster, Deangate,
York YO1 7HH at 7.30pm on Wednesday 20 September 2023
Gowning and photography: Merchant Taylors’ Hall, Aldwark, York YO1 7BX
Please reply to the invitation by Friday 1 September 2023 by using the form in the main page above to RSVP.
The Graduation Ceremony is a formal occasion so students should wear smart clothes eg a suit, a dress or smart trousers. Please remember that you will be required to walk up steps to the stage, so please consider your footwear.
Each student may bring up to two guests. Please let us know as soon as possible whether you will be bringing guests. Children are welcome and they should be included in your number of guests. Animals are not permitted apart from Guide Dogs.
If you would like to wear a gown, you will need to know the title of your degree and awarding body. Gowns can be hired from Ede and Ravenscroft which will be available for collection at the Merchant Taylors’ Hall, Aldwark, York YO1 7BX (three minutes’ walk from York Minster) from 2pm on the day you are graduating. The gown must be returned immediately after the ceremony. Information and links to Ede & Ravenscroft website can be found by going to https://www2.edeandravenscroft.com/graduation/ Please use Askham Bryan College when asked to type in the institution.
Tickets and Seating
Students can collect their tickets from the Merchant Taylor’s Hall when collecting their gown. You will be able to arrive at the Minster from 6.45pm. Once you have registered, you will then be directed to your seat. Ushers will greet you on entry and direct students and guests to the correct seating areas.
If you owe the College for Tuition Fees or Additional Fees at the end of the academic year, the College reserves the right to restrict your attendance at any awards ceremony until the monies due are paid.
If you have been part of reassessment, or due to take part in reassessment, or you have to re-take the year, you may graduate next year. If you have any queries about this, please contact the HE team directly: email@example.com
Please visit the following website for car parks in York: https://www.york.gov.uk/parking