Skip to main content

Financial Assistance

Students studying a Higher Education programme may have two main costs – tuition fees and living costs. 

Student Loans and Grants

Financial help is available in the form of Student Loans and Grants (from the Government), bursaries and scholarships. The amount you will be eligible for depends on your individual circumstances. The website provides guidance on eligibility for fees loans, maintenance loans and grants and any additional funding routes available to support study. Students that have identified support needs can also access information around the DSA application, details of assessment and allocation of funds processes can be found on the website. There is a means tested application process via the College’s Access Agreement for bursaries. Details of what is available can be found in the College's Access Agreement which is available on the OFS website. .

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)

You can apply for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) to cover some of the extra costs you may have due to a mental health isssue, long term illness or any other disability.   You will need to provide evidence of your condition such as a letter from your doctor or a specialist to support your application. You can apply at any time before or during your course, and how much you get does not depend on your income.

DSA can provide the following help to students, specialist equipment allowance, helpers allowance, general students’ allowance and travel allowance.

  • You can get the DSA on top of your other student finance.
  • You won't have to pay it back.
  • How much you get depends on your individual needs and not your household income.

If you have applied for a course at one of our centres and would like any further information or help applying for DSA, contact the Learning Support Office on 01904 772339 or alternatively there is an information guide on the DirectGov website.


Parents’ Learning Allowance

You may be eligible for help with your learning costs if you're a full-time student with children.

  • You can get the Parents Learning Allowance on top of your other student finance.
  • You won't have to pay it back.
  • How much you get depends on your household income.
  • It won't affect your benefits or tax credits.


Adult Dependants’ Grant

If you're a full-time student in higher education and an adult depends on you financially, you can apply for an adults Dependants' Grant of up to:

  • £2,834 for the 2017 to 2018 academic year
  • £2,757 for the 2016 to 2017 academic year
  • You can get the Adults Dependants' Grant on top of your other student finance
  • You won't have to pay it back


Childcare Grant

You may be eligible for help with childcare costs if you:

Are a full-time higher education student and have children under 15, or under 17 if they have special educational needs.

  • You can get the childcare grant on top of your other student finance
  • You won't have to pay it back


Discretionary Awards for 2017/18 entrants

Applications for the different bursaries (listed below) will be considered by the college's Access Funds Decision Panel and will be open to all students studying both on full-time and part-time Higher Education programmes at any of the College's centres.


HE Bursaries

You may be eligible to apply for the following:


Bursary up to £500

A contribution to support any associated costs of studying an Askham Bryan College Higher Education Study Programme.


Specialist Equipment up to £500

A contribution to support the purchase of specialist equipment and resources related to your higher education studies.


Broadening Horizons up to £500

A contribution to the cost of travel relating to accessing specialist work placements, costs of trips and study tours to support learning, or attending conferences and other learnng opportunities.

Askham Bryan College,
Askham Bryan,
YO23 3FR
01904 772277