Skip to main content

Financial Help

A range of financial assistance is available to students that can help to pay for:

  • Accommodation
  • Transport
  • Essential clothing, books and trips
  • Food cards
  • Childcare

To apply for financial assistance towards College accommodation please apply for a Residential Grant 2017-18 using the form below, for a College bursary and for free meal entitlement please complete the College Bursary application form below.

Further Education and Work-Based Learning Courses

Accommodation / Residential Grants

The residential grant provides financial support with accommodation costs for learners aged 16+ who are attending a full time Further Education course at Askham Bryan or Newton Rigg College.

In order to qualify you must meet the following criteria:

  • Learner must be aged 16+
  • Must be studying a full time Level 2 or Level 3 course at the College. (You will not qualify for a residential grant if you are studying a Level 4 or Degree course).
  • You must live 15 miles or more away from the College or the journey must take more than two hours on public transport.
  • The grant is means tested on household income. In order to qualify for any assistance the annual household income must be below £30,000. The maximum grant available this year is £3,458 and the minimum is £1,152. The grant awarded will not cover the full cost of the accommodation and you are therefore required to pay the balance, the remaining balance will be payable by direct debit in 8 equal instalments; from October - May.

Residential grants are awarded on a first come, first served basis. The closing date for applications is usually the end of June each year. The application form for residential grants for both students aged 16-18 and 19+ can be found at the foot of this page.


We may be able to offer full time students free transport to and from College. For further information contact Student Support Services in York on 01904 772201 or Reception at Newton Rigg on 01768 893400.

Free Meal Entitlement

You may be able to get a free meal every day you attend College if your parents receive any of the following benefits and allowances:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (which is of no more than £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit

Students who get any of the above benefits in their own right (ie they get benefits payments directly, instead of through a parent or guardian) can also get free meals.

If you have any queries please phone 01904 772271 or 01904 772222. To apply please complete the Bursary Fund Application Form at the bottom of this page.

Further Education Vulnerable Bursary

The award is £1,200 per academic year and is for care leavers, young people in care, or students who receive income support, or disabled young people who receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Employment Support Allowance (ESA). Applicants must be 16-18 years of age. They will receive £35 per week for 34 weeks.

16 - 19 Discretionary Learner Support Fund

There are bursaries available of up to £500. They are for students who are struggling financially and are awarded to assist with course related costs such as books, equipment, protective clothing, transport and course trips. To apply please complete the Bursary Fund Application Form at the bottom of this page. 

Advanced Learning Loan Bursary

Students must be 19 or over, to be studying a Level 3 qualification and in receipt of the Advance Learning Loan. Evidence of household income is required as per discretionary bursary above. To apply please complete the Bursary Fund Application Form at the bottom of this page.  

Childcare Grant

This grant is to help full time students with dependant children in registered and approved childcare. You cannot get this grant if you claim the childcare element of the Working Tax Credit from the Inland Revenue. You can receive up to £255 a week. You can apply for the childcare grant using the form CCG1. If you have any money worries please seek advice from Student Support Services or an advice agency such as the Citizens' Advice Bureau.  An Application form is available at the bottom of this page.


Askham Bryan College,
Askham Bryan,
YO23 3FR
01904 772277