The Mill Building, Victoria Road, Saltaire, Shipley, BD18 3LA Tel: 01274 327261 or altenatively 01274 327258
The Saltaire Centre is in partnership with Shipley College. Situated in the beautiful World Heritage site of Saltaire and surrounded by Robert's Park. It is a great place to study and easy to get to by bus or train from most areas of West Yorkshire (the Centre is directly next to the train station for easy access).
We currently offer Level 2 or 3 in Animal Care/Management.
An important part of the learning experience at the Saltaire Centre is the warm and friendly atmosphere alongside a very student focused approach. As part of the study programmes, students have visited Yorkshire Wildlife Park, Flamingo Land, Chester Zoo and Ponderosa Rare Breeds Farm.
Our focus is to prepare students to gain the necessary work skills to enter into the land-based industry and we have strong links with work placements at local veterinary surgeries, pet shops, farms and dog grooming salons. Many of our students have taken up positions in veterinary nursing, catteries, kennels, animal technician roles and welfare roles in charities such as Cats Protection.
We also help our students with their university applications for studying at a degree level. In 2020, 59% of second year level 3 learners progressed into higher education on programmes including Animal Management, Equine Science, Veterinary Nursing and Wildlife and Conservation at higher education establishments within the UK including University Centre Askham Bryan College.
Facilities at the Campus include:
A dedicated animal unit, refurbished in 2020 comprising of three rooms:
- A small mammal room: housing species including degu, hamsters, harvest mice, rats, chinchillas, gerbils and tenrec
- An Exotics and Aquatics room: housing a range of reptiles and amphibians, including bearded dragons, skinks, snakes, frogs, toads and invertbrates
- An outdoor mammal and birds section: with avaries housing chickens, budgies, quail, cockatiel, kakariki and wooden stand-alone housing with skunks, ferrets, guinea pigs and rabbits.
- Links to equestrian facilities, Flamingo land zoo and our York campus on-site wildlife park
- An excellent library and resource centre
- Canteens and social spaces