Level 3 Certificate in Practical Animal Care Skills
On this course students will learn about animal care and develop the skills needed to care for and handle a variety of animals. Learners will gain practical skills, develop sound working practices, and gain industry knowledge to help progression into higher levels of learning or into employment within the animal care sector.
This qualification consists of a number of mandatory and selected optional specialist units. The mandatory content gives students a broad introduction on how to promote and maintain the health and well-being of animals, including identification of abnormal signs, monitoring, and maintaining accurate records.
The units selected for this programme include:
- Promote and maintain the health and well-being of animals
- Plan the handling and restraint of animals
- Plan diets and feeding regimes for animals
- Monitor and evaluate the feeding of animals
- Provide advice and guidance on the choice and care of animals to prospective keepers
- Provide information on how to maintain the behaviour, health and welfare of animals
- Recognise and interpret the behaviour of animals
There are lectures, talks from guest speakers, visits, practical sessions in the Animal Unit and work related experience.
Students' work is assessed continually throughout the course. Learners are expected to gain valuable external work experience alongside this programme of study.
4 GCSE at grade 3 (including science) and English or maths at Grade 4. We will also accept a Pass at Level 2 in a related subject.
Upon successful completion of this course students may wish to progress on to a Level 3 Technical Diploma in Animal Management or into animal related employment.