ApprenticeshipsView our Apprenticeship Courses
Earn while you learn and gain real work experience.
Apprenticeships and Advanced Apprenticeships are work-based learning programmes for young people aged 16-24 and are generally free of charge for learners. You need to be in a suitable job and most of your learning will take place at your workplace. We may be able to help you find a suitable work placement if you don’t already have one or you can also search for suitable vacancies on the National Apprenticeships website. You will then come to York, Newton Rigg or one of our Centres or a satellite Centre near where you work, either on day release each week or in blocks or weeks.
You will gain valuable qualifications including:
• A Work-Based Diploma at Level 2 (Intermediate Apprentices) or Level 3 (Advanced Apprentices)
• Functional skills qualifications
• Additional nationally recognised certificates for the sector in which you work (charges may apply)
You will have a Course Manager who will direct and support you. Apprenticeships involve assessment through ‘on-the job’ observation and questioning. Assessors visit you in your work place and when you’re ready, they assess and ‘sign off’ each skill (unit) when you’ve shown you meet national occupational standards. You also produce a portfolio (folder) of evidence to show that you are competent and meet the required standards. Some work-based learning qualifications may be subject to change by their awarding bodies and/or have additional entry requirements.
Apprenticeships are available in:
- Environmental Conservation
- Game and Wildlife Management
- Horticulture (Sports Turf, Golf Greenkeeper, Landscape)
- Land-Based Service Engineering
- Plant Maintenance
- Trees and Timber
- Hair and Beauty (Penrith Only)
If you are interested in our Apprenticeship courses why not visit one of our Open Events to find out more? Please see below for downloadable leaflets for some of the above courses.